Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Beginner Disc Selection Advice

The video on this post is a good video on beginner disc selection. I'm not sure who this guy is but he sure has good advice in all of his videos. Wish I'd seen this video when I started playing three or so years ago.

The following is copied from his YouTube page for this video. Nice thing about the list of beginner discs does not favor any one disc manufacturer over others.

This is a video giving advice on how to decide which golf discs to buy during your first months / year as a disc golfer. A lot of this is my personal opinion based on what I've seen work for myself and others, as well as what has not worked. I think most things I've said can apply to all new players of the game, but don't take this video as gospel, test out what I'm telling you for yourself and if you think I'm wrong about something, say so. I am still learning just like you are.

To summarize, I recommend starting off throwing just mids and putters while you learn the fundamentals, then gradually working your way into the world of drivers beginning with the slower drivers (Fairway drivers).

Some molds I suggest working with are the following:

Putters: MVP Ions, Innova Aviars, Gateway Wizards, Discraft Challengers, Magnets Mids: MVP Axis, Discraft Comet, Buzz, Innova Shark, Roc, Latitude 64 Fuse Slow drivers: Innova Leopard, Teebird, Millennium JLS, Discraft Cyclone Fast Drivers: Millennium OLF, OLS, Discmania PD, TD, Innova Starfire, Valkyrie, Discraft Avenger and Avenger SS Max speed drivers: Millennium Quasar, Discraft Nuke, Innova Destroyer

There are plenty of other good discs out there, these are just discs I have personal experience with and feel are pretty good overall.

In general, work with slow, neutral discs in lighter weights (165-170g) to begin with, and as you learn the game slowly work faster discs into your bag if you find you can control them.

No comments:

Post a Comment