Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Some Words of Wisdom from David Feldberg

The weather is getting to be more and more like spring around here everyday. Hopefully by the time you're reading this post, a lot of the snow from this winter has melted away and it won't be long before the grass is green and ready to be cut. March can be a muddy month but a good month to start getting revved up for warmer weather and afternoons, evenings, and weekends of disc golf!

This year's winter has been hard for me to get motivated. Probably because the past three winters have been fairer winter than this winter. Nonetheless, my mind is turned towards disc golf as I appear to be hopelessly addicted. One of the things that crossed my mind a lot has been how to train for disc golf.

In a post on Latitude Discs, David Feldberg addresses this issue in his post titled, "Amping up for a new season." He addresses three areas; Technique, Physical Training, and Self Improvement. His post addresses these topics in a sensible manner. For instance in the Technique paragraphs the first thing he says is, "First thing you need to realize with technique is that you can’t fix everything." How often do I try to do just that? Too much, it seems. Part of that "I want all and I want it NOW!" attitude.

In his discussion of Physical Training he again has a common sense approach along with his preferred training program. He doesn't list his training program in detail but mentions the name of it and that it works for him. A goal we should embrace is "becoming a better athlete," Dave says, with "physical training and self discipline." He recommends "any routine that does a full body workout." I've been a member of a couple of local gyms over the past decade or so, and have recently contacted a personal trainer. I've not moved forward on the personal trainer route. Yet. But it's burnin' a hole in my brain. Last time I had a personal trainer they kept referrin' to their computer program and I thought they were referring to their knowledge base. They certainly had a bevy of certificates to back them up as being what they said they were. I guess I just don't trust computerized programs. Though I haven't been very disciplined in the physical training area, I know it's a direction I have to move towards.

It's a worthwhile read that shouldn't take more than ten minutes. Check it out! Here's hopin' your self-discipline is strong, your drives are far and your putts are for birdies or par!

No comments:

Post a Comment